Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Web 2.0 awards

In judging the value of the resources on this list, I thought of how the evaluation criteria that we use in traditional library collection development has been used here. Within this site, I did find familiar sites that I always use because I find them to be excellent resources. So, with that in mind, I was able to look at the "chosen ones" with confidence that they really were good at what they were doing.
I decided to look at the mapping category, and found Google maps listed as the first choice. I have always used "mapquest.com" in the past because it was the first one I became comfortable using, and it has been a reliable tool for my needs. However, after seeing the options available on Google maps, I may never go back again! The rating for it could not have been any higher. Nothing less than a 5 out of 5 was given: Usability 5/5, Usefulness 5/5, Interface & Design 5/5 and
Content Quality 5/5. After watching the site's informative video for navigating around it and for finding information way beyond "just a map", I put in the address of a friend who lives in Pennsylvania. Not only did I see the street map grid, but an actual photographic view of the neighborhood was available! I then dragged the mouse around, and it was like walking around the neighborhood with my friend! Unbelievable! I did put in my home address, and I must say that I was happy to see that this photographic view wasn't an option...yet! It is definitely something to keep in mind for the future when the grass needs cutting and the house needs painting!

No comments: