Sunday, December 23, 2007

the future of libraries...Web 2.0 etc.

In reading the two essays about the future of libraries and how to best incorporate all the newest technology into this very traditional field, I choose to comment on "Into a new world of librarianship" and "To better bibliographic services".


I found these two to be full of worthwhile suggestions to enhance what I have seen as traditional library service over so many years.

The best part of this service is that it has evolved, albeit with some reluctance, to keep up with the times and the changes in technology. The pertinent phrase used by Michael Stephens that tickled me was“Techno-worship”. In using that phrase, he emphasizes that technology shouldn't be used just because it is the latest thing. His point is that librarians have always kept in mind the library's prime directive; " Does it meet the users need in a new or improved way?"
In the years that I have worked at NFL, I think we have evolved because this has always been our goal. In going through the Lib. 2.0 exercises, I found them worthwhile because they were thought provoking and useful. If we know of these possibilities as librarians then we can widen our patrons' world view of the Net. It also puts us into the position to better serve the new and more tech-savy users, because we have kept up with all the tech changes, and we need to incorporate all the best of what is available not just know about them. It might seem faddish to some, but we must be able to pick and choose from Web 2.0 what will keep people returning to the library. To expand user and librarian knowledge, whether in the practical bibliographical way or philosophically as the times change is very important for all of us.

No comments: