I looked at the Eons site, and found it fun to click on a few of the links of the home page to see the pages of people who were members. It was accessible in a way that didn't make me uncomfortable or feel like a voyeur and was very easy to navigate.
I tried a few name searches but didn't find anyone I knew. I could see its use for someone who was shy and who wanted to meet new people with like interests. There was a handy synopsis on the member page of pertinent info like age, interests etc. to help with this exploration.
It's a useful site especially made for those of a "certain age" to feel at ease in using a social networking site without the younger "hip" factor of sites like MySpace and Facebook. I also think that the "no commitment" and anonymous part of making contacts in this way would appeal to most who are new to this kind of connecting through social networking on the Internet.
I don't really know how the library could use one of these social networking sites unless it was in establishing as an interactive book discussion site or perhaps as another outlet for getting the library's events and news out into the community.
I thought this exercise was worthwhile in that it has also made me so much more aware of what is considered as "socializing" these days. I didn't sign up for a personal page because I know I will never use it as a place to meet new friends. I prefer the reality of interacting with friends in person or on the phone since it is what I have always done. I don't even like using e-mail all that much as a communication medium because of the loss of inflection and immediacy of the personal experience... and my computer has to be turned on for all this to happen!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment